11:00 AM - FF06.01.03
Reactive Materials for Ceramics Fabrication
Notre Dame University1
Phenomenon of self-sustained chemical reactions that sub-sonically propagate along the high-energy density material is widely used for fabrication of different ceramics [1,2]. The specifics of synthesis condition in such combustion front are as follows: short (0.1-10 ms) reaction time, high temperatures (2000-4000 K) and extremely high rate for temperature change (103-106 K/s). These features allow fabrication of materials with unique microstructures and properties. In this work, we report recent results on combustion synthesis (CS) of different materials including ultra-high temperature ceramics, high entropy ceramics, metastable phases, as well as cubic boron nitride. Special attention is paid to such novel synthetic routes as reactive spark plasma sintering (SPS), CS with mechanical stimulation, as well as solution combustion synthesis.
Specifically it is shown that SPS of reactive materials  allows one-step rapid fabrication of dense bulk nanostructured ceramics (e.g. SiC. B4C, HfCN) with high mechanical properties. Application of similar approach in combination with high-energy ball milling permits production of high entropy carbides and nitrides. It is also demonstrated that CS in B-TiN reactive system under shock-wave conditions leads to formation of c-BN phase . Finally, using self-sustained waves in reactive solutions of metal nitrates and different fuels (e.g. hexamethylenetetramine and glycine) allows synthesis of metastable metal nitrides phases .
1. Rogachev AS and Mukasyan AS, Combustion for Materials Synthesis, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2015.
2. Concise Encyclopedia of Self-Propagating High-Temperature Synthesis, 1st- edition, Edited by: I. Borovinskaya, A. Gromov, E. Levashov, A. Mukasyan, A. Rogachev, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2017.
3. D.O. Moskovskikh, K.A. Paramonov, A.A. Nepapushev, N.F. Shkodich, A.S. Mukasyan, Bulk Boron Carbide Nanostructured Ceramics by Reactive Spark Plasma Sintering, Ceramic International, 43 (11) 8190-8194, 2017.
4. MT. Beason, JM. Pauls, IE. Gunduz, S. Rouvimov, KV. Manukyan, K. Matous, SF. Son, AS Mukasyan, Shock-induced reaction synthesis of cubic boron nitride, APL, 112(17) 171903 , 2018.
5. A.S. Mukasyan, S. Roslyakov, J. Pauls, L. Gallington, T. Orlova, X. Liu, M. Dobrowolska, J. Furdyna,, K Manukyan, Khachatur, Nanoscale Metastable ε-Fe3N Ferromagnetic Materials by Self-Sustained Reactions, Inorganic Chemistry, 58(9), 5583-5592, 2019.