- You must be a registered attendee of the 2019 MRS Spring Meeting and be onsite at the Meeting to participate. You cannot designate another person to show your artwork for you.
- Submissions are limited to one image per contestant and should complement the "science" component of the Meeting. Multiple submissions by a single contestant will be disqualified.
- Images may be obtained by any material imaging technique. They can also be the result of modeling and simulation, or can be obtained by combining multiple images into one artistic image. Because the focus is on art, the aesthetic rather than scientific quality of the image is the key element in the competition. Nevertheless, the images must have some connection to materials science.
- All images are to be submitted online at http://ScienceAsArt-S19.mrs.org as a high resolution .jpg file of at least 300 dpi (10MB maximum size) on or before 5:00 pm (ET), February 18, 2019.
- Please include the submitter's last name in the title of the .jpg file.
- The Meeting Chairs will select a group of finalists from these submissions and will notify all entrants of their status by March 8. Finalists will then bring their entries to the Spring Meeting ready for judging and general display.
- Format: All submitted images must include a short description of the technique used, the object that was imaged and any special conditions. If selected as a finalist, the image and caption should be made ready for mounting at the Meeting. Detailed printing and mounting details will be sent to the finalists once selected.
- Judging: The Meeting attendees will independently determine first and second place selections via voting ballots. First-place Science as Art works will be awarded $400 prizes by the Chairs at the Meeting. Second-place prizes of $200 each will also be awarded. Each entry is eligible for only one prize.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your submission.