Deadline April 1, 2020
How Can I Get Involved?
- Complete the application form and indicate if
- submitting a slide
- willing to be a presenter
- will do both
- Include your slide with the form if you plan to submit one.
- If submitting a PowerPoint slide, please list your title on the application form, not on your slide. We want the presenter to suggest a title during the presentation.
Are you curious what PowerPoint Karaoke is about, but a bit shy? Just come by and cheer on the other presenters. Every presentation needs an audience! Most of all, there will be a People’s Choice winner, so the noisier, the better!
After the karaoke event there will be plenty of time to chat, laugh and network with other participants in a relaxed environment. The Frontiers Reception will immediately follow with food and beverages.
You must adhere to the MRS Code of Conduct. Any violation of these rules will lead to a direct disqualification without further notice. This is also true for the slides. If provided slides violate the MRS Code of Conduct, they will be discarded, and the author will get a second chance. After that, no further chances are granted.
For Your Slide
- Only one slide is permitted per attendee.
- The usage of this PowerPoint template is mandatory.
- Submit in PowerPoint format.
- There will be an author's prize, so please make your slide as clear as possible so that your content is obvious to the presenter.
- Deadline to enter is April 1, 2020.
For Your Presentation
You will be announced and have time for a brief (one-minute) introduction, so that everyone knows who you are, where you are from and what you are working on.
You have 2 minutes to present the slide. The moment the slide shows up, your clock has started. Get focused and perform like you never did before. We are sure it will be wonderful!
Please do not comment on the quality of the provided slide you are presenting. The challenge of this event is to get the best information out of the slide, and someone might have worked hard to submit the best he or she could do.
Deadline to enter is April 1, 2020.
You made it! Everyone is cheering and fascinated by the presentation! But this is not the end. Every participant will get a certificate of participation, and you have the chance to win prizes.
Prizes will be awarded to the best presenter and the best author, selected by both the audience and the judges. Each award consists of $300 and a certificate. If you enchant both the audience and the jury, you can win $600!
The winning presenter will not automatically define the winning slide author. An outstanding presentation performance can be better than a presentation with a perfect slide.
Awards Selected by the Audience
Make some noise! The loudest cheering determines the audience winner. To make it fair for everyone, the noise level will be collected after all presentations are given.
Awards Selected by Jury
The jury will announce the winning presenter according to the best performance and author of the most appealing slide.
Organized by the Student Engagement Subcommittee
- Luciana d’Amone, Tufts University
- Simranjit Grewal, University of California, Merced
- Daniel Stadler, University of Cologne
PowerPoint Karaoke is an independent event and is neither affiliated with, nor authorized, sponsored, or approved by Microsoft Corporation.